Friday, December 10, 2010

Metal - construction

Bending the metal rods to get the exact curves I wanted was challenging. Also, as the round form of the rods make it hard to hold together, I needed a second pair of hands to help me hold it while I used the torch to weld it together.



Now time for the waves! Experimenting with paper a little bit.. I did not want to waste the usage of the metal, even though I had extra. Using Bristol board, I cut a sample shape. At first I was planning to trace the shape exactly, but I found it easier to free-hand the design.


With Mike's help, I learnt how to use the plasma cutter!The first few tries came out terrible...
... but after switching to the other machine with a better tip, the cuts became much more smooth.

before polishing and after polishing the metal.

note to self: don't wear rubber-soled shoes when dealing with hot metal..Did not take photos of attaching the waves to the main structure..which was also a struggle because again, due to the round edges of the rods, it was hard to hold together.
It came out alright, and again, I feel that if I had cut one more piece, it would be more complete.
overall, even though it came out quite different from the sketch, the piece turned out pretty well and I was able to utilize many of the workshop's metal tools.

No comments:

Post a Comment