Friday, December 10, 2010

Sand Cast - Creating the mold itself


sprinkle talcum powder over the item so that it will ease the removal of the item from the sand cast.

Kim making the sand for the mold... a mixture of sand and silicon that will create heat when hardening. it's hard to see but she is wearing rubber gloves and a gas mask. Health first!


After pouring in the sand, use something flat (like a brick?) to flatten the top so that it is flat on its back when the metal is being poured in.

Came back later that night to remove the item from the mold...

due to the many layers of cardboard (to create the thickness for pouring the iron), I had a little bit of difficulty peeling it out...


as you can see some of the top bits got stuck in the sand, but I managed to pull it out eventually.


I have a feeling I did not compress the sand enough in the beginning when I was pouring the sand, resulting in the loss of details being written into the sand. the rough grainy texture also contributed to this loss.... It was here that I realised I was being overly ambitious and that sculpting something this detailed is not too suitable for this project. Should have done something simpler. I really need to learn to simplify my ideas... it's a bad habit, I think, to over-complicate things.

No comments:

Post a Comment